5 Ingredient Morning Detox Drink
I love the change of seasons and all the possibilities that lie in this time of transition between one season and the next. The school supplies at every store and the pumpkin treats that have found their way to the farmer’s market signal the coming of fall.
Moving from the play and freedom of summer to the structure and new beginnings of fall can feel a little bit like starting a new exercise routine. But I usually feel ready. Fall is a time to “get back to work” so to speak and I like to use this fall energy to “get back to health” as well.
Get on the Healthy Bandwagon
After falling off the healthy bandwagon over the summer, I for one need to refocus and reboot. Today I’m going to share with you one of my favorite detox recipes that is easy to include in my busy morning routine and starts my day in the right direction. Fall is an excellent time to get back on track with routines and habits that nourish our bodies and feed our souls. It is a natural time to cleanse, letting go of the things that are no longer serving us, and replacing them with something better. If you are like me, then you know that it is SO much easier to carry on healthy habits throughout the day when I have started the morning off right.
A little something green goes a long way, and this super easy green juice recipe will give you a boost in energy and help kick the cravings for the rest of the day. Don’t have a juicer? Don’t worry! I am going to share an easy health-hack so you can make green juice with your blender or vitamix. Check out the video!
This fantastic, easy recipe is packed full of antioxidants like Vit C, A and K and contains loads of anti-inflammatory properties. Include these five simple ingredients to give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to feel amazing!
1. Kale – Kale is a superfood, high in Vitamin A and C with loads of detoxifying sulfur to help your liver get rid of free radicals and other toxic chemicals. This dark leafy green is a great source of iron, Vit K and powerful antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids.
2. Cucumber – This watery vegetable gives your juice a refreshing flavor while providing you with lots of copper, potassium, and manganese. The Vitamin C and high Silica content make this a great beauty booster for your skin and nails as well, and who doesn’t love that?!
3. Lemon – Lemons are a big-time player in alkalizing your body, helping you reach an optimal pH to eliminate disease and inflammation. While adding a little tang to your juice, this sour fruit also cleanses the liver and is packed with vitamin C.
4. Apple –“A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down” – If you are new to juicing then a little bit of apple can take the edge off of the strong flavor of kale and lemon. This sweet fruit also adds some additional antioxidants and phytonutrients that fight cancer, hypertension and diabetes.
5. Ginger – Ginger is something we use often in Chinese Herbal medicine and I think it gives this juice a nice punch. This yummy root helps strengthen digestion and protects against colds and flus all the while decreasing inflammation and boosting the immune system.
Simple Morning Detox Juice
8-10 leaves of kale
1 medium cucumber
Juice of one lemon
1/2 of an apple
1 inch of fresh ginger
8oz of purified water
Combine all ingredients in your blender or Vitamix and blend until it is a smooth consistency. Strain the mixture through a milk nut bag into a large bowl. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
As you can see, this simple juice is packed to the brim with vitamins and antioxidants. If you have gotten off course this summer and want to move towards feeling your best this fall, start your day off with this delicious juice and watch how quickly you start feeling better!
I want to hear from you:
Have you tried cupping? Please let us know in the comments below.